Don’t know yet how to change the default icons in your computer? Well, to tell you honestly there are lots of ways to change icons. You can get some of it in a skin as a complete package of customization or you can download an application that can change instantly all your icons like IconPackager. But in this tutorial, I will teach you how to change the default icons without using any special tool except you and your computer only.
What do we need?
- .ICO image (ex. image.ico)
You can download .ICO image from the internet if you don’t have one. Just simply search Google and boom. Just download it.
IntelligentYOU Tips: Put all the downloaded .ICO files in a folder so that it will be easy for you to locate and pick an item. We’ll just name this folder as ICON.
- Right-click the file or the folder that you want to change its icon. In the drop-down menu, find Open Folder Location at the bottom of the menu and click it. If you cannot find it, proceed to step 2.
- In the drop-down menu again, click Properties. You can find it at the
- The Property dialog box will appear and at this point, click the Customize tab.
- Refer at the picture below for the picture of Customize tab. In Folder Icons, click the Change Icon button.
- Another small dialog box will appear, and at this time, click the Browse button.
- Locate the .ICO file you have previously downloaded to our folder named ICON. After that, click the Open button.
- You will notice that you can now see in the dialog box the icon that we have picked. Just press OK button. It will close the small dialog box signifying that we have already picked an icon.
- Now, we’re back to the Property dialog box. Press Apply then OK.
- Congrats! You have successfully changed an icon from your computer.
I’ve downloaded some cool icons in the internet, and I found “Devine Icons -2 (Evolvoed)”. Here’s the look of my Downloads files. I’ve used Extra Large Icons to make them look bigger.
IntelligentYOU Note: You cannot change the icons of two or more folder or file at the same time. You’ll need to change them one by one.
IntelligentYOU Tips: Changing an icon is a way of customization. So, pick and download the most awesome icon you can find in the web. I highly recommend DeviantArt.com – the coolest site you’ll ever know!
So, what are you waiting for? Change the icons in your computer now! And, please check out my other tutorials too.