Normally, you can’t play .FLV files using Windows Media Player (WMP). In order to play .FLV files in WMP, we need to install a codec, it is a computer program capable of encoding or decoding a digital data stream or signal. In this tutorial, I recommend using K-Lite Codec Pack. Download the latest K-Lite Codec Pack here.
1. Run and install K-Lite Codec Pack. Press Next to continue Setup.
3. Leave the settings to the default one, and then press Next to continue.
4. You can check Desktop shortcut for Media Player Classic. It is a very good player. Press Next to continue.
5. Just leave the default value and press Next button.
6. Now, check Windows Media Player to associate it to the codec.
7. You can leave this setting to the default one, but here I pressed select all audio button so that Media Player Classic can play audio files. Press Next button to continue.
8. Now, here’s the important setting. Press the select all video and select all audio to associate Windows Media Player to all video and audio files associated with the codec so that WMP can play all types of videos like .FLV. Press Next button to continue setup.
9. Leave the default value as it is. Press Next button to continue.
10. Now, click install button to install the K-Lite codec Pack to our computer, and wait for the installation to finish.
11. Click Finish button, and we’re done. Congratulations!
Now, I am very sure that you can play .FLV files using Windows Media Player. Hurray!